Woo hoo! Today is *the* day! Our 2 Year Blogoversary! That being said beside the giveaway to celebrate below, I really wanted to get some more actual ‘talking’ time with everyone.
Ana (from Beach Bum Reads) gave me the blog post topic of ‘What about how you do it all? Author, blogger, tour provider... and where all the magic happens’.
So I have decided to give a low down of what a typical day is like for me. As most of you know I own Full Moon Bites but also FMB Author Promotions (formerly FMB Blog Tours), too.
First off I must say I do not have a cool office or anything (I wish!). I work in the second kitchen or ‘dining room’ that only sees use on holidays, on my computer in a pretty uncomfortable chair. Lol It would be nice to have an office but I do not see it happening anytime soon.
I have odd hours. Usually I go to bed around and get up around Sometimes I get off schedule (right now I am very off) but those are my regular hours. And they work perfectly for me.
Waking up – – Cut the computer on. Coffee. Pet, feed and water Simba (my cat).
- Coffee in hand. Emails. Take care of the immediate things.
Cut on music.
- Check the calendar. What is on the agenda for that day at Full Moon Bites/Reading with Holly? If there is a book to review and I have not read it yet I do so now. If not then I will get the needed post(s) ready to go around
My world would cease to rotate without my calendars.
I have one on the computer, a tasks manager and I keep two notebooks by the computer that are full of things I need to do either on the blogs, in my emails or for a book tour.
4/5 a.m. - I settle down for some writing or reading. I do not always get to, but late in the morning when the house is all quiet is when I do my best (and most productive) writing.
– Time to check today’s blog tour posts to make sure everyone has posted.
– I wish I had a laptop…
- Using HootSuite I schedule tweets and FB posts and more for each one to help with promotion as well as some immediate promo, too. Afterwards I make note of who hasn’t published their post yet (if any). If they still have not went live by I will have to email them and inquire about the post.
It is a small thing to do but a job I prefer not to have to do. I really need to get someone to help with things like that.
Getting up I set the coffee water to boil in the kitchen for my grandmother’s coffee. Back to the computer.
There is cooking, talking. I make sure all posts are up—email the ones that are not. Food, living-room maybe TV for a little while then back to the computer and work.
I really hate this chair.
Reading a book when I know I shouldn’t be since I have 10+ in my to-review queue.
*Sigh* emails, emails, emails. I seriously need an assistant. Maybe I could hire one…
– Seriously I think my butt has gone numb.
– Should be emailing new authors who have signed up for tours but I am on Facebook/Twitter fielding more emails and looking at ‘just one more’ picture/post.
Stretch and force myself away from Facebook/Twitter and back to emails.
– Browsing books—omg! I have to have that one, and that one, going to the Book Depository.
Cleaning time. The kitchen, dishes (music playing in the background) sweeping and any other little task that needs doing.
– Mail time. More books. *happy dance* Contemplate how I really need one ore two more book shelves. Where in the world would I put them…I need chocolate.
Time for some serious work. Book media kits need put together, tours that are coming up fast and still have some dates free, book tour invites that need sign up forms made and to be sent out to tour hosts. Authors need to be emailed about their tours, etc.
– If I stopped buying books I could save up for a laptop and sit in the living room…
My eyes are starting to hurt. Wiggle around. Butt is definitely numb. Time for a break. Food.
– Facebook. Goodreads. Twitter. Book browsing.
How did it get so late in the day?? I still have a million things to do!
– Email from author. One blogger still has not got post up and has not emailed me back. Sigh.
– I knew I forgot to do something yesterday! Panicked emailing and searching to set things back on track.
One last email check to make sure everything is under control until I get up.
- Shutting computer down. Shower. Clean kitchen again. Sleep.
I admit it is frustrating some days. Lol I deal with a lot of people and have well over 100 tour hosts. They are wonderful people and I could not do this without them. I am always grateful they put up with my forgetfulness and silliness!
I do have people that help out with other things. Lia Davis now designs our book tour banners, which is a huge load off my mind and I am sure a relief to the authors and bloggers as I was terrible at them. Rebecca Graf helps me promote tours along with Kami and Emily.
I also have a street team I am developing that I hope will be a big help and very beneficial to authors on tour. I am looking for motivated people who can help get tour posts out there and comment on blog tour posts. There would be giveaways and goodies and more for participants. You can learn more and sign up here.
After writing this post I have to say that my days are pretty dull. I do not have an outside source of income. The blogs tours are it for me so if they are doing well then so I am. Hopefully when I get something published that will help a little too.
There are a 100 other little things that go on during the day that has to be done and of course this is not how my days always go. Sometimes I go to the store (though most of my shopping is via online); I visit my mother, sister or just slack off and read or watch TV. I get tired of staring at the computer and setting in this uncomfortable chair sometimes.
I also have more features I am trying to get off the ground. We now do more than book tour; we also do author assistant jobs such as mailing ARC’s or sending them via email. We send out book swag and other odd jobs to help authors.
It is hard and busy. I get no ‘off days’ even when I am occasionally lazy I check the computer often. There are no holidays for me either. I work those days too.
Now that I have made you endure this dreadfully long and boring post I think a giveaway is called for!
Enter below to win a books and SWAG!
The book is any book of your choice from The Book Depository (make sure they ship to you for free!), Amazon, ARe or B&N not exceeding $10. PLUS I have a TON of book SWAG laying around the house that needs to go to good homes so I am throwing in some of that as well.:)
To enter just leave a comment below and let me know what you like about the new blog design or what feature you would like to see more of in 2013!